Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ready for Rice?




So we went to the doctor's office last week for Landon's 4 month check up and to get his next set of shots :( He weighs 13 lbs, 4 oz and is 25 1/2 inches long (he of course managed to pee all over the scale during this weigh in.) For the first time EVER since he was born, the nurse commented on how big of a boy he was rather than how tiny. I have to admit that it felt good...not that I ever was worried about his weight before because I knew everything was fine, but it was getting rather old to hear everyone comment on how small he was. He's still only in the 25th percentile for his weight, but he's in the 75th for his height-- Spencer's excited about that.

Anyway, the doctor told me that sometime between now and 6 months I could try to introduce rice cereal to Landon. Let's just say that he's not too sure he really likes this whole new way of eating thing. He ended up with more of the stuff on his face, his bib, and on us than he did in his mouth, and even when he did manage to get it into his mouth he wasn't really sure what to do with it. Spencer and I started talking about how amazing it is that we have to actually teach him how to eat...it just seemed so strange. He's slowly learning how to move the food to the back of his mouth and swallow it rather than shoving his fist in his mouth, spitting the rice out, or sneezing/coughing it out all over Mom and Dad...so I guess you could say we're making progress.

Sitting him down for his first feeding the other night was bittersweet in a way. On one hand I was super excited to introduce him to something new, to see how he would react, and, of course, to get new pictures. However, at the same time, I felt a little sad at the realization of how fast the time truly flies by. As I look back on old pictures, it already feels difficult to remember him being so small and.....quiet. He's so incredibly fun right now with all of his squeals of delight, giggles, beaming smiles, and his extreme curiosity. I look forward to all of the millions of new experiences we will have as a family, but for today...I think I'll enjoy him just as he is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We haven't embarked on this endeavor yet. I'm trying to wait until the 6 month mark. Partially I want to make it that long as EBF, but partially...I'm in denial. This is why lots of girls on my pregnancy support board are already knocked up again. I want my baby back, baby back, baby back (sung to the Chili's song logo)!

Mindy said...

Yeah, we wanted to keep up with the breast feeding too, but as soon as I started going back to work, I stopped making enough for him. Even though I pumped and pumped and pumped, he would freak out after every feeding. The doctors had already been watching his weight for a while because he was so small, so we had to start supplementing formula. Then...the sad day came when I just quite being able to breast feed him. It was disappointing, but I'm still proud that I kept up with it for 4 months and worked especially hard to make it work when doctors were trying to get me to supplement from our first days home.

Anonymous said...

Oh fo sure! 4 months is waaaay longer than the majority of babies in the US get. Plus there's always another side of the coin. I sacrificed no longer working full-time to make it easier to keep up my supply. Giving up that salary gets hard sometimes (especially with Brad's hours cut too now!) and my sanity is just NOT quite the same :-) They're happy. They're healthy. We're doing our job! Plus, like I said...I'm in denial so I think you're pretty brave to tackle it head on. I know who I'm coming to for pointers!